WHAT IS PLATELET RICH PLASMA?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment involves separating platelets from your blood and injecting them into targeted areas of your body. Plasma is the liquid part of your blood. It is mainly made up of water and proteins, it allows the other blood cells to move through your blood stream. The platelet cell is a type of blood cell that triggers your blood to make clots and also has an important role in healing.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
To obtain your platelets, a small amount of your blood is drawn, and prepared in a special device called a centrifuge. The platelets contain powerful proteins and growth factors. Your PRP treatment is delivered by a series of tiny injections. The rejuvenating effects of PRP are caused by growth factors that are released by the platelet which help to induce a healing response.
PRP uses are diverse and can be used in: skin rejuvenation, fine lines and wrinkles, acne scars and stretch marks, to stimulate hair growth, as well as, many other medical uses.
The treatment is brief and involves a series of injections to treat the area(s) of concern. We use various methods to reduce any discomfort that may be experienced during the treatment.
The number of treatments that you will require will depend on your specific goals and underlying anatomy. Usually, a series of treatments are given, spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart.
WHAT ARE THE RISKS?
Potential Side Effects and Complications:
During the blood draw, you will feel the needle poke, just like when you have blood tests done.
When your PRP is administered via a series of tiny injections, we use various methods to decrease any discomfort that you may experience during the treatment.
You may experience mild swelling, tenderness and bruising following your treatment. These are temporary and resolve within a few days. Bruising can be covered with makeup, however, you should wait until the next day to apply as needed.
WHAT SHOULD I DO TO PREPARE FOR MY PRP TREATMENT?
For the best results, beginning at least 7 days before your treatment:
- Discontinue any agents which may have a potential anti-inflammatory effect such as, Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Ginkgo, Garlic, Flax, Omega 3, Cod Liver Oil, Essential fatty acids, turmeric, or St John’s Wort. *We want inflammation to happen- this is one way that PRP works*. You may use Tylenol/acetaminophen as needed prior to your treatment.
- If you are taking any blood thinners such as, warfarin/coumadin, Apixaban/Eliquis, Xarelto, Pradax, Plavix, please let your care provider know immediately, as they may represent a contraindication to your treatment.
- Make sure you are well hydrated. Drink lots of water, avoid alcohol and extreme heat.
- Refrain from smoking prior to your process, as it impacts the healing process.
The day of your procedure:
- Eat a normal breakfast and lunch.
- Drink a full glass of water 2 hours before your session.
- If your treatment is for your hair, please wash your hair before you come in for your procedure. Do not apply any styling products after you wash it. If you wear a hair system, please remove it before you shampoo, and do not wear it when you come in for your treatment.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER YOUR PRP TREATMENT?
Please follow these instructions after each PRP treatment:
It is normal to experience bruising, redness, itching, swelling, and/or tenderness that may last from 2-5 days. If you experience any pain or discomfort, you may take Tylenol/Acetaminophen as directed.
Continue to avoid taking Aspirin, Advil, Motrin, Ibuprofen or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Ginkgo, Garlic, Flax, Omega 3, Cod Liver Oil, Essential fatty acids, turmeric, or St John’s Wort for one week.
You may experience bruising in the treatment area(s) or at the blood draw site. This typically resolves within 2-3 days. You can use makeup to cover up any bruising, but wait at least 4 hours after your treatment to apply.
No strenuous physical activity/workouts, and exposure to intense heat (sauna, hot tub, sunlamp, sunbathing) for 48 hours following your treatment.
If your PRP treatment was for your face, avoid facial massages, facials, laser or light-based therapy for 2 weeks.
If your PRP treatment was for your hair, keep your hair dry for 4 hours after your treatment. Wash your hair this evening, using a gentle shampoo. Do not use Minoxidil (Rogaine®), hair color, or straighten your hair for 3 days.
If you smoke, avoid smoking for at least 3 days following your treatment. Smoking may affect your healing and results. If you would like help with managing this, please let us know.
We want you to have an outstanding result. If you have any questions or concerns following your treatment, please contact us: